Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update: Week of July 19-25, 2009

I know it has been a while since I have updated my blogs about my training progress, but this does not mean I have not been training. In fact, I have been so busy training, that this is the reason for my lapse in updates in the blog.




Here are just a few of the newest and coolest accomplishments; I am noticing better balance and more strength all around, my left foot (the weakest link) drags much less than ever, I am able to walk more and stand longer without feeling an overwhelming urge to sit down -- which means my cardio and breathing are improving and acclamating to standing vs. sitting, and I have integrated walking up hills or bridges into my routine to add that extra gravitational element and force my hip flexors to work harder.



I have also gotten back into my previous exercise routine of wheeling in my chair for cardiovascular health. I am back up to around 2 miles on average, and 4 miles on the days when I take a break from walking. I do this 4-5 days per week. The cardiovascular health is a must when attempting all the walking and climbing I've been doing. My heart is so used to pumping blood through a sitting body, versus a standing one, that it is absolutely imperative that it remains super strong. This allows it to adjust much more easily to pumping against gravity once again. My biggest issue with walking, aside from the overall weakness of course, has been endurance. After standing for just a short while, I would find myself extremely out of breath and fatigued as if I had just run a marathon. This has been improving as I get back into shape, but it's just another factor that doesn't improve overnight.



I started gradually introducing more walking, and more exercises geared toward walking, on or about May 8, 2009 when I posted my very first blog to EverydayHealth.com. Over the course of these last twelve weeks I have lost weight, gained endurance, and increased strength in my legs and arms. I have experienced peaks and valleys just like anyone starting out all over again for the first time in years, but I continue on, pushing myself some days to the brink, and other days allowing myself some much needed down-time. I am obviously not just magically going to jump up and run around the block, and it's most important that I remember that and don't let the tough days get me down. Proper thyroid function has been key in all of this as I suffer from Hypothyroid. This condition is what caused my weight gain and extreme fatigue, which then made my therapy and progress much more difficult. I am back on my meds and nothing is going to stop me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment