Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday, October 2, 2009

I am so tired today.  I have been waking up at around 6:30 a.m. every morning for the past few weeks, but today I awoke at around 8:00 a.m.  I was just too tired to move.  Maybe all the pressure I am under is catching up with me, or maybe my body is just in it's ebb phase, either way I don't like it when I'm tired and run-down feeling.

Lately, I have been forcing myself to switch to my walker every morning after I've had my coffee and breakfast.  Since doing this, I have been getting in about 400 steps a day on average.  I still have to switch back to the chair by the time my daughter comes home, because then it is time to cook, clean, and do our nightly chores, which require me to be able to move around much more freely.  It's tough to carry loads of laundry back and forth when both hands are tied up holding a walker.  I am still noticing more strength, however, and I am sure feeling the difference in my lower half.

It's hard to believe Halloween is almost here already.  It seems as though this year has flown by.  Although, for the first time in a long time I feel like I have accomplished a lot more this past year.  I wonder if I will be walking without a walker by this time next year?  I certainly hope so.  Maybe I'll even go trick-or-treating!

Before I know it Christmas will be here!  The weather is already changing here in Florida.  Cold fronts move in and cool things off to let us know it's fall.  We don't get leaf changes, but we do get cold fronts that last a couple of days and can swing the temperatures up to 20 or 30 degrees in a matter of hours.  It's Mother Nature's way of letting us know it's about to get a lot cooler around here.

This is my favorite time of the year here in sunny Florida.  There is less humidity, cooler temps, but the same amount of sunshine which means more time outside.  Summers in Florida are like winters elsewhere, except that instead of frigid temperatures, it's too hot to go outside.  Just like a freezing winter, in the summer we still CAN go outside, but you better be properly equipped to handle the temperatures and sticky conditions.  Like extreme cold, extreme heat has its dangers as well, therefore doing my therapy outside in the summer time is much more dangerous so I do much less of it, which means I'm stuck inside.  I'm really looking forward to getting outside!

So far this week I've walked 1400 steps and counting.  Wow.  I can remember a day when I probably didn't take that many steps in a year.  It doesn't even seem real that I've made that much progress in such a short time, but I have.  I can't wait to see what kind of progress is yet to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment