Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 207: My Climb Begins

Today is the day I head off on my journey.  My Everest.  I decided instead of staying up all night and ending up with tired, swollen and painful feet and legs, I would get a room closer to the airport and stay the night.  It's added expense that I really can't afford, but in my situation, I just have to figure it into the cost of the trip. 

My plane takes off at 7:05am tomorrow morning, but the airport is close to two hours from where I live.  Add to that the need to be at the airport two hours before my flight, and it means we would have had to leave my house at 3am.  I'm not good at sleeping during the day, or sleeping any other time than my usual hours, so it would have really sent my internal clock into a tail spin.  Not a good thing to do right before a trip like this.

The good news is we are going to get to the hotel early enough today that we can enjoy some sun and pool time.

I'm not sure how much internet access I will have over the next week.  I will be visiting with family and friends in my home town, and where I am staying I know for a fact there isn't internet.  I will update via cell phone often, but that limits me a bit so my walking ticker will have to hold off until I have internet access. 

We are leaving Grand Forks, ND on Wednesday, August 4th and will begin our road-trip.  At that point I will be able to update via hotel wi-fi throughout the trip until I hit New Hampshire where I will be out in the woods and may even have limited cell service. 

No matter what, I can promise you every chance I get I'll bring you up to speed on how I'm doing and how many steps I'm taking per day (it's going to be a LOT).  I will also take plenty of photos and share our experiences along the way!

Four hours to go until I leave my wheels behind.

Wish me luck!

1 comment: