Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 257: Seven Weeks!

It has been seven weeks since I have been without wheels.  Seven weeks ago today I left for Minnesota at 5am, leaving behind both of my wheelchairs.  I came home 2 1/2 weeks later and gave away my house chair, only keeping my outside chair for long distances like store trips.  It still hasn't quite hit me that I have actually been walking this entire time.  I am still so slow, and I still have days that are so difficult, that I forget how monumental it is that after 12 years of being in a wheelchair, I am no longer.

As much as I try not to think about it, sometimes time drags on and I can't help but wish I was completely better and it was all over.  I know that day will come, and I know I have to just be patient and keep working hard, but a part of me just can't help but wish it was here now.  I wish I could get rid of the outside wheelchair, and have the strength to walk through a grocery store.  I wish I could walk even a little bit faster.  I wish the first few steps after sitting for a while weren't excruciating.  All these things I wish for, and I should just be happy at where I am and how far I've come.

I suppose all these wants and wishes will just keep me working hard, so perhaps they are good.  I know they are normal, I am only human.



Step count today:  762

Steps I'm ahead:  15,295

No comments:

Post a Comment