Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 271: Nine Weeks!

Even as someone who can handle a lot of pain, at one point a few days ago I wasn't sure how much more I could stand.  It's amazing what a couple of days of taking it easy will do for the pain level.  I feel great today! 

I get so caught up in my recovery, that I forget how important it is to rest.  It's a key element in the balance of our bodies, like proper diet and sleep.  Although I am the kind of person who likes to push herself to the limit, I must also stop and take the time to rest and let my body repair and heal. 

I have mentioned before that I am not good at sitting still.  This part of me has only been amplified since I've been walking more and more.  I sit for a period and then think I need to get up and do something -- just because I can.  So I do, and then after a few days of overdoing things, I pay dearly.  Only then do I stop and make myself rest.  I really need to rethink my strategy and perhaps treat walking like I would a workout.  Work hard one day, rest the next.  It certainly makes more sense, but for me is hard to do.

Since today is Wednesday, and the first day of my tenth week of walking, I figure I will work hard since I am rested and feeling good.  That will make Monday, Wednesday and Friday my hard working days, with Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday as my easier days.

I had an idea last night for a way to get more walking in without really having to think so much.  I thought; why not set something up where I have to carry something from one place to another?  The back and forth, back and forth will give me exercise, but I will be doing something at the same time so it won't seem like a waste of time or like I'm going to die of boredom.  Since I am moving next year, I will have to start cleansing my things and getting rid of old stuff, etc, so I will put a box by the back door, and I will take things one by one to that box that will eventually go to Goodwill or Freecycle.  Considering how much crap I have laying around I should get some really great exercise out of this!

Once I am done with that I will just have to keep coming up with new and more difficult things to do.

Nine weeks in and I am really starting to see and feel the changes!  My right leg is getting much stronger, and it's only a matter of time before my left follows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment