Thursday, January 19, 2012

Italian Cruise Ships, Human Body Parts, and Aliens

The state of the world these days has me somewhat grateful for my seemingly minor problems.  Cruise ship captains are putting thousands of people's lives in danger, and then very blatantly lying about abandoning ship.  Human body parts are being found in parks.  Grandmothers are stabbing their grandchildren.  It just goes on and on.  Every morning when I wake up, make my coffee, and settle in to my office chair, the headlines make me do nothing more than shake my head at the deluge of stupidity and selfishness that floods them.  It makes me think that if there are aliens, and I truly believe there are - it's actually quite arrogant of us to think we are alone in the Universe - it's no wonder they only stop by to visit now and then, and then leave.  They must be checking to see if we've wised up yet, and when it's apparent we very obviously have not, they get away from us as fast as possible.  No doubt shaking their heads and laughing at our continued determination to destroy ourselves and our habitat.

I truly believe, without a doubt, the cause of what happened to me is a direct result of how badly things have become with the human race.  It seems like all we do is consume, and most of the time have no regard for what it is we are consuming.  We put chemicals in everything, including our food, and then we wonder why there are new diseases and disorders popping up faster than we can keep track.  Our own bodies are attacking themselves in defense of what we are doing to them.  It's as if our immune systems are attempting suicide because they just don't know what else to do and have lost all hope.  Just walking out our front door puts so much stress on our immune system, it's literally a miracle we live through each day.  Considering our bodies and their functions are basically miracles on their own, it's nothing short of abuse that we take advantage and dump so much junk into them like they are nothing more than a dumpster for our trash.

I'm as guilty as the next person of putting things in my body that don't belong simply because it tastes good.  I have managed to quit smoking, drinking alcohol, and doing drugs, but my diet coke addiction should be next on the list.  Replacing diet coke with water is probably as close to torture as I'll come (although some moments in ICU left little to be desired).  I have picked up a much healthier addiction to Chai tea, but nothing in this world can replace the taste and feel of an ice cold diet coke on one of those days when I'm jamming out to music and power-cleaning my apartment.  Oh diet coke, how I love thee. 

Nonetheless, we, as human beings, need to pay closer attention to what we put in our bodies.  It's obviously affecting not only our physical health, but our mental health as well.  Afterall, body and mind are as one.  Maybe if we can just start with what goes in our bodies, then we can work on all the other chemicals and junk we put on them.  The world right now kind of feels like when I was a teenager and my room was a complete disaster - so bad you couldn't even see the floor - and I would just stare at it from the doorway completely overwhelmed and wondering "where do I begin?"




No comments:

Post a Comment