Sunday, February 28, 2016

Cinnamon Apple Cider Detox Drink

I found this post has suddenly been getting a lot of views lately, so I decided to repost it and bring it up to the forefront.  It's coming into Spring, not Fall, obviously, and this is also a time when I start hitting the trail and really getting into outdoor cardio exercise. This drink really is fabulous! I've also added a little Peach Schnapps for a fun drink now and then!



[original post: August 24, 2013]

Since I've been trying to get healthier and lose more weight before my surgery, I've been perusing Pinterest a lot searching for good low cal or no cal detox drinks.  I found a Pin for a Zero Calorie Detox drink that called for slicing an apple then adding a cinnamon stick to water and putting it in the refrigerator at least over night.  It didn't seem like that method would release a whole lot of flavor, or nutrients, from either source, so I devised my own method and created my own drink. 

Not only did this make my whole apartment smell absolutely heavenly, but it turned out amazingly delicious!  It's a great drink for any time of year, but even more special now that Fall is right around the corner.  If you like apple cider, or apple juice, you're going to love this.  It actually kind of tastes like a McDonalds Apple Pie in a glass!  (without all the fat and calories, of course!)



Ingredients:

1 Apple (any choice - I used a Fuji Apple)
1 Large Whole Cinnamon Stick
1 Tablespoon Unsulphured Molasses
1/4 - 1/2 cup Raw Unfiltered Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Stevia Sweetener to taste (the kind for baking)

I sliced and peeled my apple. Then in a medium sized saucepan I added about 4 -5 cups of water, the cinnamon stick, and molasses.  Bring the water to a boil and boil for just a minute or two, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let simmer for at least an hour. You really want the apples to release their goodness.

After it's done simmering and you've allowed it to cool, strain the liquid into a pitcher and refrigerate overnight (this process might not be necessary, but it just happened I made this at night, so that's what I did). The next morning I added the apple cider vinegar and about 3 tablespoons of Stevia sweetener (the kind that measures just like sugar).

Pour over ice and enjoy! I drink a glass every morning!

If you try this and want to tell me how it turned out, feel free to comment or email me.  I'd be happy to know someone else enjoys it as much as me.  The reason for the apple cider vinegar is that I've read it's excellent for aiding in weight loss and reducing belly fat, so I figured this would be a great way to sneak it into my diet.  I'm sure it adds the lovely cider flavor to this drink as well.


Never Give Up




No comments:

Post a Comment