Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy Holidays

Well I made it through Christmas fairly well, but it wasn't without a little help from my old friend Tequila. I certainly did not fall back into my old patterns, in fact not even close, but I did share a few two-fers with my mother here and there to settle my nerves while shopping and dealing with all that goes along with Christmas. I don't care who you are, or what has happened in your life, the holidays almost always call for some kind of novacaine! Without being a tad numb around the edges, I may have crumbled under the pressure.

I am really looking forward to the new year. I have set a few goals that I truly believe are within reach and I can't wait to get started on the work it will take to achieve them.

I have been walking much more since my knee has healed almost 100%. It still aches now and then and is tender if I let it hyperextend, but as I've stated in previous posts, I think that is a blessing as it is making me use the muscles instead of relying on the joints to stand and walk. I haven't been counting my steps, I've just been walking in bursts here and there to get warmed up for the new year to come, but it really feels good to be back up on my feet once again. I have lost in strength quite a bit, but I was prepared for that to happen. It sucks, but such is life when there is an injury of any kind. One step forward, two steps back.

This time of year always reminds me of friends who have passed on, and of my living friends who must fight every day, but do it with such grace. I draw strength from them knowing that every day is a struggle for them as well, but they never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment