Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 102

So I have added a half-marathon to the list of things I want to accomplish this year. That's 13.1 miles in one shot.  I found a great training schedule to work with and will follow that to the letter.  http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm  Thank you Mike Danger!

So, along with my steps, I will post here what I have done for the day to train for this event.  I more than likely won't be doing any official race, but I will certainly clock the miles in on the day I am supposed to and log my time, etc.  I'm really just doing this for fun and for the exercise.  I can also apply my fitness to charity races later in the year like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and The Heart Walk.  I will be much better equipped to handle these types of races.

So today I will be going to the new park I found and trying out their walking path with my walker.  I will consider this my first day of training since the requirements are for strength and stretching.  Nothing says strength training and stretching like trying to walk .38 mile with my walker for the first time!

To be clear, I will be doing this marathon in my chair.  I would really love to be able to walk it, but I'm just not quite there yet. Maybe next year!

Update:

Well I went to the trail, did 1 mile in my chair to get my blood pumping, then got brave and busted out my walker.  I was able to walk about 45 steps at a time and then sit.  I made it 335 steps total before I called it quits. What a workout!  I'm used to doing between 50 and 150 steps at at time at home, but I get big breaks in between.  At the trail I was taking about five minutes for a break.  Phew!  We figured it out using my pedometer (thanks Wendy) that the new trail is 790 steps from start to finish, so that means I did a little over 1/3 of it before I had to stop.  My thinking is if I keep it up, I'll be able to eventually do the whole trail!  That's an exciting prospect!

Step count today:  395

Steps I'm behind:  6,277

No comments:

Post a Comment