Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 97

Today the pain in my back is much more intense and localized than it was yesterday, so I am better able to figure out where it is coming from. I think it's safe to say it's a separated rib or two. I have felt this type of injury before after moving heavy things while bent over in my chair, and that is exactly what I had been doing on Monday. There's no sense in my making a trip to the doctor since there is nothing they can do for me except charge me an arm and a leg (and I need those), tell me what I already know, and send me home with pain pills. I have a huge Sam's Club bottle of Ibuprofen that will do just fine.

It hurts to move around, but such is life, and in my world when does it not hurt to move around? So, today I will be getting in some steps, pain or no pain. I am falling much too far behind to sit around another day. I'll never walk across that Golden Gate at this rate, and that's at the top of my bucket list.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Golden Gate idea, I have a deep love of bridges. I admire their grace and beauty, the engineering and perilous labor that goes into erecting them, and the sheer magnitude of their size and strength. Ironically, I am not a big fan of driving over them, but I have always wanted to visit my favorites and walk across them. The Golden Gate in San Francisco is at the top of my list. There is something so cool about a construction orange bridge that can be that beautiful. Along with its beauty, there are so many interesting facts about its construction that it boggles the mind. My goal used to be I was going to wheel over it -- that has since changed and I plan to walk across it. It's about a mile long, so I've got my work cut out for me, but I WILL do it, and I will meet my friend Richard at the other side and have a drink to celebrate.

So, off I go to do some walking with visions of a bright orange bridge dancing in my head.

Step count today: 522

Steps I'm behind: 7,097

No comments:

Post a Comment