Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 246

If my "over ground" walker fits in the car's trunk, I am going to attempt walking the 1/3 mile trail at the park today.  I would take the walker I've been using (plain aluminum with front casters), but my "over ground" walker has a seat where I can sit if I get tired, and four large wheels that can navigate almost any terrain.  Since I will not have a wheelchair to sit in, I need something just in case I get too fatigued.  I can't chance another fall, I've come so far I would really be upset if I got set back again.

Every morning when I wake up, I have to sit on the edge of my bed and prepare myself for the day to come.  My legs need a few minutes to wake up, and then I am ready to start the day.  I dread that first moment when I have to stand up, it's one of the hardest times of my day.  Today, however, I stood up so easily that I instantly got teary-eyed and couldn't believe the progress in that area in such a short period of time. 

My bed sits on the floor, I do not have a frame under it, so it is quite low to the ground which makes it a lot harder to get out.  I did this on purpose, initially because it was easier to transfer from my wheelchair to the bed at that height, but now I leave it that way to make things harder for myself.  Each and every time I stand up out of that bed, my legs really have to work.  It's certainly paying off!

My daughter told her friend yesterday, "my mommy doesn't need to use her wheelchair anymore!"  Whatever pain and suffering I have to go through is all worth it just to know my daughter is proud of me.


Step count today:  1,473

Steps I'm ahead:  9,595

No comments:

Post a Comment