Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Chronic Illness: How Quickly Things Change

My life used to revolve around work, exercise, and whatever little bit of social life I had.  Now it revolves around doctors appointments, tests, medicine refills, and constant worry about what the future holds. A person can go through life day after day doing the same routine, never knowing that one day it can all change and become a very different kind of routine. The kind of routine some people are lucky enough to never experience.

I spend my days scheduling appointments, collaborating my schedule with my daughter's so that she can either take off of work or find other child care, and keeping track of when was the last time I took what pill and when do I need to take another one. I'm almost always tired, I can't drink alcohol, and my social life has come to a near screeching halt. It's tough to muster the energy to do anything beyond care for yourself when your body is nothing but constant work. After a day of fighting pain, with every movement hurting so badly you dread just putting on your shoes, all a person wants to do is lay down in bed and stay there. Being social and having "fun" is a thing of the past. I do my best, but it's slowly slipping between my fingers and just another aspect of my old life falling away.

I will not let this become my normal. This is a temporary mountain I must climb, as I've done before, and will do again. At least this time I'm one step ahead by being more educated and having the strength I didn't know I had before. This time it's going to happen on my terms.

I just want my life back, but the unfortunate truth is I can't have that until I get my body back. The biggest question haunting me day after day is; will I ever get it back? I wish I could have been one of the lucky ones who never really had much more than a bad flu or a broken bone, but I'm one of the "lucky" ones who's had several different medical conditions that are not just an annoyance, but a complete life changer. I've learned to accept that, and in fact I'm starting to embrace it as possibly that's what I was put here to do. Maybe my purpose in life is to suffer these ills so that others don't have to in the future. Or, at least that's what I tell myself so I don't go completely insane constantly wondering "why me?".

All I can do is keep telling myself, and believing, that I will persevere. I press on - going to the appointments, taking the medications, doing the research, trying my hardest to do every tiny thing physically possible to keep my lower half moving and flexible despite its constant fight to cease up and be useless. I will not let that happen. I will fight. I will never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment