Saturday, October 27, 2018

Traveling To Iceland

This Saturday morning I am continuing to plan my vacation to Iceland next year. According to "Iceland" by Lonely Planet (available on Amazon Prime for free) June-August are the busiest times for tourists in Iceland, so I am planning my trip in mid-September. I was having trouble deciding if I wanted to go in the Summer when it's warmest and the days are endless, or in the Winter so I could view the beautiful Northern Lights, but then I realized I've never been to Iceland so I really just want to see Iceland. I don't like crowds and it's less expensive to go during off-peak anyway, so mid-September 2019 it is! This gives me more time to save and plan anyway.

According to the aforementioned book, there is a road that traverses the perimeter of the entire country/island called Ring Road. So far, my plan is to rent a vehicle and drive this road seeing as many sites as I can along the way. I will stop at pre-planned destinations and stay a day or two, taking in everything each site has to offer. I can't wait!

As far as lodging goes, the options are almost limitless. You can stay in anything from a tent (cheapest) to a farmhouse to a luxury hotel. I want to stay in as many varied places as possible. Some hostels offer sleeping capsules and I must try one! According to the reviews it's an amazing experience all its own! There are camping cabins that are basically just a tiny cabin with a sleeping area and a sitting area and I must stay in one of these as well.

I can't wait to experience the culture the most. I know that Iceland's scenery is breathtaking, but most of all I want to experience its people. Reading travel guides and planning ahead will help me to familiarize myself that much more with my destination so as to help ease my anxiety about traveling so far alone. Traveling alone can be daunting enough, but when you are doing it in a wheelchair and are completely unfamiliar with the area and it's accessibility, it can be terrifying. So far, from what I've read and researched, Iceland seems to be largely accessible! This makes me very happy. I do follow a few people on Instagram (@fromheelstowheels) who use wheelchairs and who have been to Iceland and I will contact them to find out more about accessibility.

I want to take a whale watching tour, but most of all I want to drive Ring Road and take in Iceland's beauty along the way. Driving during the day a couple of hours and then stopping to take in its culture.

Have you ever been to Iceland? Share your experience in the comments!

Visit Iceland: visiticeland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment