Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Guillain-Barre Syndrome Awareness

Back in 1997 when I was originally afflicted with this terrible disease, so much less was known about it that I suffered much more than I would had I been afflicted today.  Doctors and hospitals are much more aware and ready to jump on this disease.  The hospital I went to when I became ill has made it standard to ask patients if they, or any members of their family, have ever had GBS.  Unfortunately, it is becoming much more common and more and more people are suffering this terrible disease.

The more it is talked about, the fresher it is on people's minds, so if someone starts to feel even the smallest of symptoms they can get help immediately and recover very fast.  My uncle was afflicted a few years ago, and thanks to my knowledge and my family's knowlege because of what I had gone through, he was able to get proper treatment and recovered rather quickly. 

It has taken me a very long time to recover, and although I do feel that is partly my fault for giving up for a while, I also KNOW I could have been much better much faster had I received proper diagnosis and treatment in a timely manner.  It took them much too long to decide what was wrong with me, and therefore much too long to give me what I needed to begin recovery.  This process is usually very quick, both in destruction and recovery, but my legs remained completely paralyzed for four months.  That is much too long, and very uncommon with this disease when proper treatment is given.

As with any disease it is very important to remain aware.  Don't brush something off and think you'll get better, go to the hospital and make sure it's nothing, because it could just be something.





No comments:

Post a Comment