Friday, September 11, 2009

"It's easy as riding a bike..."

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa



Riding bike used to be one of my favorite exercises and pasttimes.  When I lived on Clearwater beach many years ago, a pedal bike was my only form of transportation, and I loved it.  One doesn't need a car if you never leave the beach. 

Since I became ill, I have not had the privilige of riding a bike, in any form.  Years ago, my father bought me a recumbant exercise bike in hopes that I would use it to make my legs strong again.  I used it, but I was unable to push it with my legs for longer than about 10 seconds, so I would put my hands on my knees and push with my arms, and that is how I would get my cardiovascular exercise, and as close as I came to actually riding a bike.

I still have that recumbant exercise bike, and yesterday I got on it and rode with just my legs for five minutes.  Yup, FIVE minutes using just my legs.  It wasn't easy, but I did it.  I did it and it felt great.  The last minute felt to me like what the last mile of a marathon must feel like to a runner, but I did it!

So, today I couldn't wait to get back on it, and I did, and rode for five minutes and thirty seconds.  This time it was a little bit easier than before, and I was able to concentrate more and get my legs to move properly, and a little faster.  I rode my five minutes, got off and did some housework, and was so addicted had to get back on about an hour later.  I got back on, closed my eyes, and rode.  I rode for six minutes and 30 seconds.  I closed my eyes at one point and for a second I could remember what it felt like to ride a real bike.  And then I pictured myself running, and tears came uncontrollably rolling from my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha from Hawaii,
    I was on a Twitter page of Lance Armstrong and saw a link to your profile. Your fight is awesome. Never give up is the only way. A friend and I recently did a 1/2 Ironman Triathlon. Actually he finished, I didn't. But the inspiring part was my friend ran the 1/2 marathon portion with Rudy Garcia-Tolson. A 20 year old triathlete. http://www.challengedathletes.org/athletes_stories/Rudy_Garcia.htm
    I noticed in part of your blog you liked swimming. And this part is about biking. Maybe you could become a triathlete. It is a lot of hard work, but an incredible feeling when you finish. I believe the only limits one has are those that one creates.
    Good luck in all you do,
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ,

    Thank you for your support and kind words. Maybe someday I will compete in a triathlon, or ride with Lance Armstrong like my dream has been and will always be.

    I just keep moving forward, that's all we can do!

    ReplyDelete