Thursday, September 3, 2009

Inspiring Others Inspires Me

Since I posted my blog "In Training: 80 Steps at a Time" only a day ago, I have had the most overwhelming response. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't looking for any response, so the deluge of well-wishes and encouragement is surprising to say the least. Add to that the idea that I am inspiring people, and well... I, too, am inspired.


Yesterday, I went to my computer and just started typing. I had been forcing myself to walk more, and the pain was setting in, and I needed an outlet... a stress reliever. Sometimes my favorite way to relieve stress is to just write about it. I am not the best writer I know, but I get the point across -- at least to myself. Most of the time I write to myself in Word Pad and don't even bother to save it to my computer. There is just something cathartic about channeling my innermost thoughts to words on a screen, or to paper, even if those words are never shared or seen again. I have noticed over the years that recovering from any sort of trauma or loss can be a very lonely road. Dealing with something that only you, yourself, can understand, is a very isolating process. When I feel this way, I share my grief with my computer or notepad and it's as if I've shared it with the world. A weight is lifted from my shoulders, negatives are purged, and I am able to relax and focus my energy on the task ahead.



I began typing in my Everyday Health blog since I use this website to keep track of my calorie intake and exercise routine. This time I wanted to be able to access these words for future, personal use. After writing whatever came to mind about how I was feeling and what I was going through, I decided to publish the blog. In so doing, I created a buzz that has since come back to me and made me soar.



After publishing the blog to Everyday Health, I also posted it to Facebook and Myspace. The encouragement and positive reinforcement just keeps pouring in. The fact that I am inspiring others is in turn inspiring me. It's coming right back to me like a happy boomerang. Knowing that people are cheering for me has lifted my spirit to a whole new level. I have heard other numerous stories of courage and determination that have given me a whole new outlook on life and how to live it. After years of isolating myself from the world and feeling like I had to deal with my disability alone, I am realizing this is not the case. If I share with whoever will listen, my struggle is not in vain. If I try and fail, someone is there to pick me up and get me going again. And even if I spend the rest of my days fighting, I can find peace in the fact that I never gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment