Thursday, September 3, 2009

80 Steps At A Time

Some people train to run marathons, I'll settle for walking 100ft on my own power.
It has been 12 years since I have walked unassisted on my own power. I have been using a wheelchair that long. I was afflicted with Guillain-Barre Syndrome in December of 1997, and since then my arms have returned (and then some) but my lower half took a bit longer. Instead of trying hard and working hard, I became angry and gave up. I sat in my chair and pitied myself for years, eating and drinking all the wrong things, and getting no exercise.
This is not who I really am. The real me would never allow me to get this bad. The real me is a fighter and a winner and never gives up. The real me is back and ready to kick some butt.
I am able to walk with crutches, a walker, canes, or anything I can put my weight on and still feel stable. When I say "able", I use that term very loosely as it's one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do in my life to just take one step. My legs, abs, back, ankles, knees... everything hurts and everything is very weak. But I trudge on, heaving and pushing and trying, finally.
I decided one day to just start walking more.  I figured I should set a goal for myself rather than just wing it with no set plan.  I started by parking my outside chair in my garage and walking to my house.  The distance is 80 steps, and so was born "80 steps at a time".  I did this until the rainy season hit Florida and then moved the walking inside.  I now use my walker indoors and on average walk 300 steps a day, some days I walk as much as 1,000.
 
If the mantra "no pain no gain" is true, then I must be really gaining!  Yes, it is painful, and yes it is very difficult, but after years of sitting on my ass I figure I deserve to feel the pain.  Afterall, feeling pain is good right?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment