Saturday, September 12, 2009

I wish...

There are so many things I want to do, so much I have missed out on over the years. I miss the feel of sand under my feet, and the ability to swim in the ocean. Just being able to climb a set of stairs is such a distant memory. To walk through the morning dew on the grass, or go to the park and go on the hiking trails. My life has been restricted by these four wheels I ride on and I'm quite frankly sick and tired of it.

Before I go anywhere I have to plan and make sure it's accessible. Are there bathrooms accessible to me? Will I be able to see passed the butts in my face? Will it take me a year to get through the people who don't see me until I touch them and say "excuse me"? These examples just barely scratch the surface of what I must think about and go through just to go anywhere.

It will be nice to not have to think so much. If I want to go somewhere, to just be able to pack up and go. If I'm buying a car, to not have to think about if there is room enough for my chair. My life has revolved around this wheelchair for much too long.

I want to go to the Grand Canyon and hike. I want to take a kayak to a remote island and get out and have some alone time. I want to ride a bike until my legs feel like they will fall off!

All I can do is keep trying and keep praying. I will get there, I just know I will.


1 comment: