Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 118

I accomplished what I set out to do yesterday, minus the exercise bike.  By the time I had done my five minutes of crawling I felt like I had just ran a marathon, and I still had to go do three miles in my chair, so I figured I'd save my strength.  I am going to get on the bike today, however. 

Apparently I'm getting in shape again since yesterday's three miles weren't necessarily a piece of cake, but it wasn't exactly hard either.  During the three miles I felt the usual pains; shoulders and triceps burning, hating it at certain points, wanting to stop, but I pushed on.  Afterward was when it didn't feel like I had really done anything.  I was waiting for that "wow, I just did three miles" feeling to kick in and it never did.  I guess my body is getting conditioned and I will need to pick up the pace a bit and start adding distance.  YAY!

I will do some more crawling today and see if I can't go a little further.  Although I did the five minutes yesterday, I had to break for a little bit about mid-point and let my arms go back in their sockets and catch my breath.  I would like to see if I can go farther than 2 1/2 minutes before breaking.  Yesterday it felt like I left my arms on the floor when I had finished, but I guess that means I'm getting a good workout :^)~

This crawling thing is proving to be a very hard workout, and I love it.  I need to try to add as much every day as I can.  Muscles are getting worked that don't normally do anything, even when I walk, so I am very happy about that.  Between the walking, crawling, and miles in my chair I should be a rail in no time!  A very muscular rail :^)

I'm a little less annoyed with people today.  Yesterday was good -- I didn't have anybody bother me at the park -- even though there were lots of people there.  That's how it should be.  I realize that some people are just ignorant, or they just don't know any better, but that shouldn't be my problem, and just because I'm in a wheelchair it sometimes becomes my problem, and that makes me even more upset.  There are days when I can take it with a grain of salt and brush it off as just another clueless person, and then there are days like the past few when I just get fed up with being nice all the time.  I suppose with everything there has to be balance.

The good news is that for every person that says something stupid or does something stupid, there are countless others who totally "get it" and make my life enjoyable.  People like my close friends who don't treat me any differently, yet quietly look out for me and keep my disability in mind.  The cool people in my life who love me for me.  The new people I have met over the past year who have turned out to be amazing, and the people I have known most of my life with whom I have recently renewed friendships.  And, let's not forget those of you who support me and my effort to try to walk again.  I could gush all day about you people.  You know who you are (I hope), and I just want to say thanks.  It's people like you who get people like me through every minute of every day.

Step count today:  341

Step's I'm behind:  6,708

No comments:

Post a Comment